Happy Friday! I hope you had a great week and are gearing up for an even better weekend.
In this newsletter we cover:
- a proposed new gay real estate development making a splash–and receiving backlash–on social media
- a stunning investigation of drugging allegations spanning years at West Hollywood nightclub The Abbey
- the queer fashion brand that Harry Styles just invested in
- a new video showing the arrest of Bar:PM owner James Pence after the St. Louis police crashed their car into his bar
- and so much more!
If you appreciate our work, please consider supporting us financially!
Thanks for reading, and see you next week!
Stories With Main Character Energy
Proposed “New Fire Island" Development Praises Gentrification, Promises a Gay Paradise
The Tea: A proposed new beach town real estate development is making a splash–and receiving backlash–on social media.
- According to its website, New Fire Island is “A community of gays building a new paradise, inspired by the original Fire Island Pines – in the sunny Mediterranean and for a new era.”
Read the full story at Queerency.
Report details alleged drugging of patrons at West Hollywood gay nightclub, The Abbey
The Tea: A new investigative piece published by The 19th News details a pattern of stunning allegations of drugging from patrons of iconic West Hollywood nightclub, The Abbey:
- The three-year investigation interviewed more than 70 abbey patrons who said that their drinks had been drugged
Continue reading at Queerency.
Harry Styles invests in queer British fashion label S.S Daley
Harry Styles has taken a minority stake in emerging queer British label S.S. Daley for an undisclosed amount.
Continue reading at Gay Times.
New video shows St. Louis police arresting gay bar owner after they crashed into his storefront
The Tea: The attorney representing Bar:PM owners Chad Morris and James Pence released a bystander video documenting the aftermath of the now infamous St. Louis cop car crash that resulted in co-owner James Pence being handcuffed and co-owner James Pence being arrested.
- The video shows the moments leading up to Pence being detained in handcuffs
- It also reportedly shows the St. Louis police officer Ramelle Wallace, who Morris alleges beat him while in police custody.
Continue reading at Queerency.
Queer-Owned and -Allied Businesses In the News
In partnership with Sonara.ai
Sonara is a new tool that uses AI to automate your job search and take the work out of finding a position. Job hunting is a numbers game, so the more applications you submit, the more interviews you’ll get.
All you have to do is upload your resume and it applies to hundreds of relevant job openings for you. This gives you your time back and allows you to be more selective about which interviews you take.
There’s a free trial to start using Sonara, and then it switches to a monthly subscription. But as a member of the Queerency community, you can save 20% off your first month using this link: bit.ly/46vDsNm
Good News in Queer Business, Politics, and Culture
Facts & Figures
Data to Digest
Challenges to Overcome
Opportunities & Events to Know About
Men Having Babies 2024 Atlanta Surrogacy Conference & Expo
MHB is coming to Atlanta for the first time February 23-35 to offer everything you need to know and everyone you need to meet to start your parenting journey! Learn about:
- The basics: medical, legal, and financial aspects of surrogacy
- Surrogacy Costs: budgeting & insurance considerations for surrogacy
- MHB’s member resources, discounts, and financial assistance
- Evaluating various surrogacy destinations
- Accessing benefits from employers